Some of you have experienced forgetting soaked laundry overnight. Come on guys! Admit it!
Some may be a procrastinator and some are just plain forgetful.
Okay, fine! I’m guilty, I also have an experience with this kind of problem. I forgot my laundry for two days that I have soaked in water.
I also know someone who totally forgot her soaked laundry for a week. This one is insane because the water has detergent and bleach in it.
Can you imagine it? But I won’t tell her name because I’ll definitely get beaten up if I did.
It’s the worst laundry problem I have witnessed so far.
And today, I want to share with my experience so that you would know what to do when you forget your soaked laundry for a few days.
The result of forgetting soaked laundry
- Smells bad – It really smelled like garbage. Everyone stepped back when they tried to check it out.
- Faded clothing – The recommended soaking time for white clothes in water with detergent and bleach is 10 minutes only. That is enough time for the bleach to breakdown a stain. Even if the clothes are whites, one week is too much.
- Molds – Molds are already visible which means that the power of the bleach to breakdown bacteria on fabric is long gone. The clothes are now beginning to deteriorate.
- Brittle when dried – The fabric can now be easily torn.
How to avoid it
- Let someone know that you have soaked laundry that needs to be cleaned.
- If you are alone, remind yourself by setting an alarm on your phone.
- Do not cover or hide the container. Place it where you can easily see it.
- Do not multi task and do not procrastinate.
Bonus – How to treat the forgotten soaked laundry
- Rinse well. Just put in one rinse cycle. The bad smell won’t be removed at this time so you do not need too much rinsing.
- Use fabric conditioner as you normally do on ordinary load of laundry.
- Do not twist and wring it
- Hang to dry in a shade.
- When dried, wash it again with small amount of detergent and one half cup of vinegar to remove the bad odor.
- Again, use fabric conditioner and then hang to dry in a shade.
- Do not iron.
Though you can’t bring back the faded color and the fabric is now prone to tearing.
But at least now you can wear the clothes again.
I hope you learned something!
Share your thoughts below.
Please subscribe to CNN Soapbox Laundry Shop!
Photo Credit: PIXABAY.COM
If you like my blog, I’d appreciate you telling a friend and maybe even a family member. And if you really like my blog, a review or a comment on any of my articles would be great too.